Join Our Team
James House is the only accredited nonprofit organization helping people affected by sexual violence, domestic violence, and stalking in the Greater Tri-Cities Region.
This includes the cities of Colonial Heights, Hopewell, and Petersburg, and the counties of Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Prince George, Surry, Sussex, including Fort Lee. All of our services are trauma-informed, cost-free, confidential, and available in both English and Spanish. We are governed by a Board of Directors who believe in our mission.
Our mission is to provide support, advocacy, and education for people in the Tri-Cities area of Virginia affected by sexual violence, domestic violence, and stalking and to empower them to become healthy, safe, and self-sufficient.
The Shelter Manager position at James House is a full-time role with a focus on sexual and domestic violence support. As the Shelter Manager, you will be responsible for providing direct services to survivors of sexual and/or domestic violence. Your role will involve coaching and empowering clients to promote self-sufficiency and sustainable change. You will also be responsible for managing the operations of the shelter and ensuring client safety and satisfaction.
Responsibilities As the Shelter Manager, your responsibilities will include:
• Exhibiting congruence between the mission and values of James House and interactions with the community/clients.
• Understanding and abiding by James House policies and implementing procedures correctly • Responding quickly and appropriately to hotline calls from survivors, family members, friends, and other service providers.
• Providing trauma-informed, culturally sensitive services, including counseling support, advocacy, support groups, and case management coordination.
• Supporting clients in developing safety plans, building support networks, processing trauma, and healing from abuse.
• Making relevant and appropriate referrals for legal, medical, financial, housing, and related needs of clients
• Managing day-to-day activities in the shelter, ensuring client safety, cleanliness, and meeting client needs • Acting as a liaison between the agency and the building owner and staff to ensure confidentiality and client safety
• Ensuring accurate and timely documentation and reports.
Requirements To be considered for this role, you should meet the following requirements:
• Two or more years of education in the field of social work/health and human services or relevant experience with sexual violence and/or domestic violence from a trauma-informed perspective
• Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred
• Ability to maintain a compassionate and professional approach while working with people in crisis situations from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent writing, public speaking, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to multitask
• Proficient in computer skills, experience with Google tools, and Microsoft products
• Demonstrates effective critical thinking strategies and appropriate decision-making skills
• Knowledge of the Tri-Cities and surrounding counties, reliable transportation, a valid VA state driver's license, and in-force automobile insurance
• Ability to work independently with little supervision
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Successful background check
We're excited for you to apply!